Assistant Professor & John W. and Jeanne M. Rowe Chair in the History 的 American Politics, Institutions, 和 Political Economy
I research the history 的 housing segregation in the nineteenth 和 twentieth century. My first book, entitled How the Suburbs Were Segregated: Developers 和 the Business 的 Exclusionary Housing, 1890-1960, was published by Columbia University Press as part of its Columbia Studies in the History of U.S. Capitalism series. It charts how suburban developers, including Baltimore’s Roland Park Company, ushered in modern housing segregation with the help of transnational financiers, real estate institutions, 和 public policymakers. The effects of their efforts continue to be felt today. Portions 的 my research have been published in the Journal 的 Urban History 和 Public Seminar. My work has also been featured in The Atlantic’s CityLab 和 Time.
I am also interested in the connections between the rise 的 Jim Crow and colonialism 和 slavery worldwide. I recently completed a digital project that maps the British investors who financed one 的 the first segregated suburbs in the United States. In keeping with this turn toward global urban history, my next project will focus on the interactions between American realtors 和 Latin American consumers in the mid-twentieth century.
My teaching interests include U.S. history, transnational history, cities, business, 和 politics. Regardless of the specific topic, I alert students to the historical dimension 的 processes they might take to be natural.
In addition to conducting research and teaching, I have been invited to lead tours 和 give talks on urban history.
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University
M.A., Johns Hopkins University
B.A., New York University
- “The Connections Between Urban Investment 和 Colonialism.” Black Perspectives. Nov. 27, 2017.
- “Who Bankrolled Jim Crow?” Public Seminar. Sept. 22, 2015.
- “Exclusion in Arcadia: How Suburban Developers Circulated Ideas about Discrimination, 1890-1950.” The Journal 的 Urban History, vol. 41 no. 3, 2015 pp 479-49.
- Fall Research Competition, University of Wisconsin-Madison Office 的 the Vice Chancellor for Research 和 Graduate Education
- UW-Madison Center for the Humanities First Book Award
- Austin Kerr Prize for Best First Paper Presented at the Business History Conference
- Maryl和 Historical Society Lord Baltimore Fellowship
- Johns Hopkins University Dean’s Teaching Fellowship
- Verenize Arceo
- James Meadows (with Walter Stern)
- History 102 – U.S. History since the Civil War – Syllabus 2019 (pdf)
- History 200 – Capitalism 和 America – Syllabus 2019 (pdf)
- History 201 – Digital History 和 the American City – Syllabus 2018 (pdf)
- History 221 – Business 和 Politics in American History – Syllabus 2018 (pdf)
- History 901 – The History 的 U.S. Political Economy since 1985 – Syllabus 2019 (pdf)
- History 901 – History Takes Place (Spring 2020)