The History Department announces up to three $500 prizes for a short (1-3 minute) video made by an undergraduate individual or team on the subject, “Why take History?”
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.Design Lab for technical help; direct other questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Finalist and winning videos will be used on the department website, in social media, in classes, and elsewhere to help promote our classes.
For full consideration, videos should:
- Be submitted to email@example.com by February 24, 2020.
- Be 1-3 minutes in length.
- Acknowledge all sources.
- Avoid the use of copyrighted material or provide written permission from the owner of the copyright for the department’s unlimited use of the copyrighted material.
- Include in the email submitting the video:
- Subject line: Why take History video contest
- The name, role, class year, and major(s) of each creator of the video. At least one creator of the video must be a declared history major or be taking or have taken a history class at UW-Madison (designate which class or classes, which semester).
- The social media handle(s) of the creator(s), if desired. This would allow us to link to those handles when we post the video.
- A full transcript of the video in an attached MS Word file. (The purpose of this is to make this video fully accessible to all.)
- The video itself (as an attachment) or a link to the video. Format is open, but AVI, MOV, or MP4 is preferred.
- Multiple submissions are allowed.
- Current undergraduates, as well as students who have graduated within the last 6 months before the deadline, are eligible. (Of course, alumni or non-students are welcome to appear in the video.)
By submitting a video for this competition, the creators attest that their video is the product of their own work, and give the UW-Madison History Department unrestricted permission to publicize and distribute the video on social media and other platforms. By submitting a video, creators also give the History Department permission to add brief material at the beginning or the end of the video to promote the Department itself.
The winning video should:
- Capture and hold the attention of a diverse range of UW-Madison undergraduates
- Present a persuasive argument for the value of History classes or a History degree
- Acknowledge sources appropriately and follow all rules of copyright